November 12, 2019

OK, Boomer

So this is actually related to the practice of law, so it may be of no interest to anyone here.  Nevertheless, I know some folks (like CalJur) have been through this recently, so I thought I would ask.

I am up for (non-equity) partnership at my mid-size NYC firm.  I’ve been there for about eight years (so the majority of my career).  I progressed through the ranks, from 2nd year associate, to Counsel, and now this.  Although the next step is non-equity, it still comes with some changes.  Among them:

  1. K-1 vs. W-2
  2. Picking up the employer portion of my medical (I am told the firm bumps the salary enough to cover this)
  3. No longer qualifying for bonuses based on hours
  4. Regular blowjobs in the cafeteria
  5. Bigger expense account
Some are good.  Some are bad.  But my real question is this - how has the transition been for those who have gone through it?  What were the best (and worst) parts?  Overall did you think it was worth it?  Was it easier to generate business once you were a “partner” (I am fairly active in origination activities, but its usually hard to tell what is related to what).

Diqus.


No comments:

Post a Comment