January 13, 2020

Law School...Was it worth it?

KKRR posted a horrible little blurb on GLAWKER regarding a 2018 Gallup poll where various professionals were asked whether their graduate degree was worth the investment.  Not surprisingly, only 23% of lawyers said that their law school education was worth it.  Despite KKRR's inept reporting, this is certainly an interesting area for discussion. 

So to the Commentariat, I ask:

1. How much did you have to borrow to attend law school (and was that more than or less than 15 years ago)?

2.  Given everything that has happened in your career so far, do you think it was worth it?

I borrowed roughly $60,000 for law school more than 15 years ago.  I consolidated my loans back when they were still private loans that were Federally guaranteed, so I got a super low interest rate (these were virtually risk free for the private lenders, so they were willing to compete for my business).  I'm paying my loans over 25 years at 1.875% interest.  My payment is less than $300 per month.  I attend a very good law school and I'm making several times what I think was my earning potential before I got my law degree.  I definitely fall in the 23% of lawyers who think the investment was worth it.

On the other hand, I don't know that I'd be willing to borrow $200,000 in order to make what I'm making now. 

How about the rest of you?

No comments:

Post a Comment