March 17, 2020

A Brown Ale Worth Trying

While the panicked jostle for toilet paper in the supermarkets, local liquor stores are experiencing a deficit in consumer traffic. The degree to which priorities have been warped by the pandemic is astounding. On the bright side, it has resulted in some price reductions that have been a handsome benefit to the idle beer tourist.

This week, I tried some Maduro Brown Ale, which hails from Cigar City Brewing in Tampa, Florida. Similar to a sweet oatmeal stout, it is described by its creators as a full-bodied, malt-forward ale, boasting notes of semi-sweet chocolate and toffee, and hints of fresh coffee. The flavor derived from the flaked oats they have used in the brewing process is also very much in evidence.

If you can find this brown ale in your local market, I recommend giving it a try. I was particularly fortunate in that I was able to acquire a number of sixpacks, and for only $5.99 each. In normal market conditions, retailers could easily move an ale of this quality for $8.99 a six. I suppose I should be grateful that my toilet-paper-obsessed fellow citizens have brought liquor prices to this difficult pass.   

No comments:

Post a Comment