March 12, 2020

The Last Man and the Red Death

With COVID-19 dominating the news cycle, it seems that every idiot feels compelled to give his or her uninformed take on the virus. As if on cue, Steven Chung published a new steaming pile of ignorance explaining why he's concerned about COVID-19. 

He makes it painfully obvious that he has no idea what he's talking about.  Take this passage where he tries to sound smart and informed.

While coronaviruses have been around for a long time, this newly discovered version has no cure and can be fatal, particularly to the elderly and those with weakened immune systems. 

Steven doesn't understand what a "cure" is.  Very few viral infections can actually be cured.  Once you get a virus, you're pretty much stuck with it.  Even potent anti-virals that have been developed over the last 20 years only stop the virus from replicating inside the body.  They don't actually destroy the virus in the way that antibiotics destroy bacteria.  I'm sure what Steven meant was that there's no vaccine for COVID-19.  However, there is a fundamental difference between a cure, which is accomplished by killing an active infection and a vaccine, which keeps a person from getting an infection in the first place.  Mr. Chung quite clearly doesn't understand the subject that he is writing about, which is par for the course with him.


If you're worried about Steven, don't worry, he's taking precautions to keep from getting the virus.

 I have done my best to minimize the chances of exposing myself to the virus. That means spending more time working from home. I have encouraged clients to send paperwork via email and the cloud. For those who prefer the old ways, I accept regular mail and offer to reimburse them for postage. Since this is tax season, I and other tax professionals have voluntarily self-quarantined ourselves for the next month and a half.

Call me cynical, but I don't think that human interaction is a big problem for Steven Chung.

Despite the precautions, I have accepted that I will eventually be infected. This is not because I have eaten at four Chinese and two Korean restaurants in the last week and a half. It is not because I didn’t purchase 36 rolls of toilet paper. Most likely it will simply be because I was at the wrong place at the wrong time. I might be strolling at an empty park and Patient Zero just happens to jog past me.

He's so fucking RACEIST.  He really offends a woke individual like myself.  Also, he's once again throwing around terms that he doesn't understand.  The term "patient zero" refers to the first documented case of a disease.  For COVID-19, patient zero was infected in China some time in December of 2019.  The COVID-19 patient zero is either recovered or dead at this point.  Either way, Steven absolutely could not be infected by patient zero.

So what scares me about the coronavirus? The chaos it has caused.  First, it has turned social media into a trainwreck.

Oh yeah, Twitter and Facebook were so pleasant up until the COVID-19 outbreak.  What the fuck planet is he living on?

As lawyers, we are trained to advocate for our clients. And while I won’t get into details, I am sure some of us are using the coronavirus to our advantage.

This is vintage Steven Chung.  He has no idea who lawyers are "using the cornoavirus to our advantage."  His phrase "I won't get into details," is his tell that he's just making it up.  Other than using the outbreak to argue for a continuance, it's hard to imagine how a lawyer would try to use the outbreak to his or her client's advantage.

So what are we lawyers to do about the outbreak?  Steven has the answer.

My hope is that we as lawyers will calm the panic and help people make educated choices by calling out the liars, profiteers, and opportunists, all of whom are taking advantage of this panic for their own personal gain. In these divisive times, we might not change many peoples’ minds, but it is worth a shot. And we should do our best to keep politics out of this. Lives are at stake. There will be grave consequences for any politician who maliciously tries to prevent the public from getting the help they need.

There you go.  I think that my reaction can be summed up by the image below.



No comments:

Post a Comment