August 7, 2020

How Long Will You Watch a Movie Before Bailing?

 My firm offers a very reasonable (i.e. too reasonable) flat-fee deal for creative people which results in an incredible flood of crap coming in the door for clearance and fair use review.

The documentaries are the worst since anyone with a phone can make one. At least half are unwatchable: hours and hours of nothing really happening,  pockmarked, greasy-haired filmmakers inserting themselves into the doc for no good reason, terrible sound & lighting, cringe-making narration, unidentified talking heads or voices, manic, poorly designed graphics, super depressing topics and/or overly-preachy screeds.

Oh and tons and tons of crying.

My paralegal and I compare notes as to when we'd stop watching if we could. 

She's a martyr and will endure any movie for at least 30 minutes before calling it quits, while I give a film exactly 10 minutes to grab me and if it's a comedy and I dont laugh in those ten minutes, its OVER. 


No comments:

Post a Comment