March 31, 2020

BigLaw (Once Again) Reprises The Yarn of the Nancy Bell

Well, that didn't take long. The Interwebs are abuzz today with reports of furloughs, pay cuts, suspension of retirement contributions, and layoffs. Mergers and lateral acquisitions are also mired in the Serbonian Bog of the pandemic-stricken economy.

It's like deja vu all over again, except that this time, the firms aren't even pretending that things are fine or that they are just having to jettison a few slackers. No, the razors are out, and the razor-dance of equity partners has begun. It's an open and unabashed panic. There are so many breaking stories, there is really no point in trying to pick any one in particular. Even if I end up spending my days in the soup lines, I will still be able to brighten my outlook by checking the Internet in the evening for "Survivor, BigLaw Edition."


"And I never larf, and I never smile,
And I never lark nor play,
But I sit and croak, and a single joke
I have--which is to say:
"Oh, I am a cook and a captain bold,
And the mate of the Nancy brig,
And a bo'sun tight, and a midshipmite,
And the crew of the captain's gig!"

No comments:

Post a Comment